Monday, December 31, 2012

Looking Back While Moving Forward

       As I sit in my cozy little apartment in the city, I can hear the noise of engines revving at the light outside our home and sirens wailing off in the distance. These are not uncommon sounds these days and most times I hardly notice them. My Christmas tree still twinkles in our living room and the tiny lights captivate my attention. The Christmas balls dance with color and sparkle in a way that only Christmas balls on a tree can do. It is a bit gray outside and this makes me feel retrospective for some reason. The lights, the colors, the weather; not to mention the mug of hot tea I am sipping. I can't help but reflect on my year and what it has carried.

       What a journey this year has been. There are no other words to describe this year than adventurous. Crazy adventure, to be exact! The year started in a whirlwind for us. Newly married, finishing school for me, and so many other every day things taking place. Somewhere in the first few months we felt a change for our short life together was making way for an awesome appearance. It took nearly all year to emerge, but after much praying, tears, studying the Word deeper, and getting on the same page with God, we knew He was calling us to a new homeland, a new place where He had called us to go. Our year quickly turned from months of seeking His face and searching for his plan, to a call of obedience. The story is way too long to share, but by spring we knew that God was asking us to trust Him no matter what and to obey the call He had placed on our hearts. God was moving us to the greater Philadelphia area.

       It would take a few months to get to where we knew God wanted us to be, but we would eventually make it. Those days were very difficult. We needed to hand over our finances to God, continually ask Him for direction at every step, and  attempt to walk in the palm of His hand through it all. The summer brought many lessons, some of which were: 1. Learning that God provides for our every need physically, financially, mentally, spiritually; every need when we trust Him and get in the center of His hand. Even when life is challenging, He provides and we find joy 2. God wants us to have an intense love and care for the 'least of these' and taking action to care for such people is beyond fulfilling. 3. I am beyond thrilled to have a husband who wants what God wants more than what he or I want and a fearless leader who is willing to chase a crazy adventure with me. I am blessed beyond measure. 4. When we are ready and willing to be used by God, He doesn't delay in using us! 5. Prayer really, truly works. 6. The list goes on! 7...8...9...etc.

       Through the generosity of some friends, we spent the summer living in a small apartment near the city as we pursued support as missionaries to the greater Philadelphia area. We went through a lengthy process of partnering up with a great church called The Journey and Mark began an internship with the church where he will spend the next three or so years training and learning how to plant a church. We will work side by side with our current church family, serving in all the ways we can and experiencing the community that God has called His people to be. We love our church and have enjoyed learning more about them, getting involved with them, and jumping completely into the water with these truly awesome people.

       The fall brought the official move into a neighboring city to Philadelphia to this cute little, cozy apartment from which I now write. It was amazing how this place was provided for us and how perfect the location is for our ministry. The very day the 'For Rent' sign was placed outside, we happened to be walking around the city, looking for housing. We were the first to call about the place, and the ones to rent it! This is no small task in the city as housing disappears almost as instantly as it is discovered. But by the grace of God...

       Fall also afforded me the opportunity to go back to school and pursue my graduate degree. This is a dream come true. I have always wanted to be a licensed counselor, and I am a step closer to that God-ordained dream. With one semester down and another about to begin, I enter with confidence that I am right where God intends for me to be. I couldn't be any happier in a grad school program than I am in this one. Biblical Theological Seminary is simply phenomenal. Counseling comes easy for me...well, as easy as counseling can be. I have a true heart for the broken and weary and absolutely want to be used to change the trajectory of the lives of those I will counsel. My deepest desire is that I would be used by God to bring healing to the places that need healing in my future clients and that through them, I too would grow closer to God, daily relying on Him to provide wisdom and insight into the needs of my future clients.

       So, as I reflect on 2012, I am well aware that we have come through a lot, but not without the hand of God guiding us throughout our days. I have grown so much this year in many ways. I have experienced quite an adventure and wouldn't trade it for anything. When Mark and I first got married over a year ago, I said to him on several occasions "Mark, let's do something crazy for God. Let's go on an adventure!" Little did I know, that just a few months later, in the beginning of 2012, God was orchestrating just that.

       May 2013 be the continuation of a grand thing and even better at teaching me even more about God - the one my life is dedicated to. May I serve feverishly and bring Him all the honor and glory He deserves. May the burden for the poor, orphaned, widowed, broken, victimized - the least among us be so heavy on my heart. Yes, may I decrease and He increase.

Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment