Tuesday, November 13, 2012

It Hurts, So Take It Away!


         There is an epidemic taking place here. With all the new technologies and science hitting each day, it can be very easy to become 'wrapped up' in the next new thing. Chronic illnesses are popping up everywhere, and we've got a pill for that! With growing medical technologies, we are hard pressed these days to find a disorder in which we can't at least manage the symptoms. Yes, we are far from 'cures' for a lot of diseases, but, we can at least make one's life more comfortable while dealing with the disease. Today, all one must do in America is walk into a doctor's office, complain of some symptom and he or she will be walking out with no more knowledge she had before going in, but about three more prescriptions than she had been taking before the visit. I admit, the 'pop a pill and find relief' thing is tempting. Life is hard, you know? If I can make it all better with one single pill, I'll be lining up for my prescription, and an extra two or so to get me through those sleepless nights. As if body altering drugs aren't enough, there has been a substantial rise in mind altering regimens as well! I feel slightly 'blue' for a day and all of a sudden I'm on a serious psychotropic medication that is supposed to lift my mood and take away my momentary blues.
 
        Now before you stop reading this blog, and assume I am completely against medication, would you give me just a few more moments of your time to explain myself? I am not about to go all organic on you and tell you that medication is of the devil and one should never take it. In fact, if you need it, take it! What I do want to address, however, is the need here in America to feel nothing, quickly rid ourselves of feelings that are less than enjoyable, and have instant gratification without doing the work to get better. This is the epidemic. The epidemic is not one of medication addictions (though that is a whole separate issue for a blog another day!), but rather, the epidemic is one of instant gratification.
 
        It only takes a moment to recognize this after spending less than ten minutes in a toy store filled with five year olds. I dare you to spend a few minutes observing what happens in Toys R Us. For those of you who don't have the time to take me up on this challenge, I'll spell it out for you quickly. Little Molly is in Toys R Us with her mommy and begins to throw a tantrum because she wants, well... she needs, one more doll. This doll is cooler because it cries and eats food. Little Molly screams because she can't bear one more day without this new doll...and what does Molly's mommy do? Of course little Molly, mommy knows that you must have that doll right this minute...otherwise Molly may have a deprived childhood with her five other dolls who only cry but don't eat food. And within seconds of Molly's tantrum beginning, this new doll is in the cart and paid for. All because Molly needed it. Take another example. This one may be slightly humorous, but just think about it. John has a friend who has a brand new flat screen television. It was love at first sight for John when he viewed the latest football game on his friend's amazing television. Within a few minutes, John has used his new iPhone to order the TV and will have it by the end of the week. Instant gratification.
 
        As I work and study in the psychological world, I see this epidemic reaching far into the lives of people everywhere. You don't have to look hard to find someone who is taking psychotropic medications in order to function on a daily basis. Is this wrong? No. If I have a heart problem, I am going to take the necessary medications to fix the abnormality. If I have a brain problem, I should do the same. Yet, I wonder if there is more to this than just popping a pill.
 
        Let's take a minute to break this all down further. Perhaps my heart problem is a direct result of something mechanically wrong with my heart. Maybe I have an irregular heart beat that needs to be regulated by medication. I should take the medication and move on with my life. There is nothing more I can do to fix the problem. But, what if my heart problem is high cholesterol because I am eating cheeseburgers every day and never exercising? I would suggest, that it would behoove me to quit eating the burgers and perhaps pick up an exercise routine. Will this solve everything? Maybe not, but it will do a great deal to fix my problem! My heart condition is a physical problem which may take some hard work to fix, but can be greatly improved if I am willing to put in the work.
 
        Now, what about my brain? What if I am consistently experiencing depression, day in and day out? I eat junk food consistently and never leave my warm, cozy bed because I just like to watch TV all day long. Anyone with that sort of routine would become depressed. I could take a pill that may help significantly and maybe that little pill will take away the pain I feel, but it won't fix the problem. It will only fix the symptoms. What if, instead, I got out of bed and accomplished some things throughout the day and began eating healthier? What if that alone is enough to lift my spirits? It may be! It may not be.
 
 
        The problem in these two examples is not the disease that needs to be fixed with a little pill, but rather, it is the disease of instant gratification. Not many people in these conditions would want to spend the six weeks it will take to get healthier while the symptoms and the pain remain. Is medication bad? Absolutely not! Is medication a sign of weakness? No! Can medication be used incorrectly? Yes. medication can be used, unfortunately, to numb; to take away the pain so a person doesn't need to walk through the pain in his or her heart to find healing. It is a antidote that can be injected into the heart or body to stop the pain, but what if walking through the pain is what is necessary to cure the problem? Now, please do not misunderstand me. Not everyone who is on psychotropic medications is using it as a crutch to skip out on the heart and mind work that needs to be done.

 There are a lot of people who are taking these medications and really need to be. I am not advocating that these people get off of their medications, in fact, I don't advocate that anyone takes what I am writing and applies it to their own lives without consulting a doctor or professional who can take an in depth look at the specific case. I am only trying to address the fact that many people do escape from their problems with medication because it is less painful. To be honest, when I have a wound, I want it to heal as soon as possible. I don't like to have it hurt. Whatever I can do to make the pain stop, sounds enticing. I want to instantly feel better. That being said, each of us need to evaluate our motives behind medication. Life hurts and we all want the pain to go away, but by using a quick fix, our hearts will still be full of pain and hurt.
 
        My challenge is that each of you reading this would evaluate if you are as hooked on instant gratification as I am. Before you go for the quick fix, ask yourself what you are trying to avoid. There are many out there who seem to exhibit real biological problems with the parts of the brain that keep our minds from depression and anxiety. For a biological issue, take all the medications you need! If you are willing to do the work and still unable to find freedom from these burdens, medication may be necessary, but my challenge is to not run away from the healing work, but rather embrace it. Use medication if necessary, but remember to keep yourself healthy in other ways, work hard on your heart, and don't hide. Hiding only makes the pain worse.
 
*I'm completely open for debate, so don't take  my word for it here! Let's discuss! :)

4 comments:

  1. We were JUST debating this the other day! SUCH a good read. Definitely worth considering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It's such a hot topic! And while I think some people need meds, and I am COMPLETELY supportive of that, I DO think that some people just want the pain to go away...I understand that, but think it's something to think about! :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i probably understand this topic more than most as i spent years as a professional drug addict.and im not going to spend alot of time on this subject as i agree with most of what you said.but i feel you stopped short of the mark as psychology always does.the root of this problem in my opinion lies deep in the center of our whole being,is God real and is there more after this. if we cannot be sure, then in those moments of doubt and the terrifying prospect that this may be all and that when it is done its done we run from that prospect to the first thing that changes how we feel. some choose to hide from this question as long as they can. if we decide that this is it then it makes a sort of sense to avoid all hardship as much as possible.but if we can resolve this and muster enuff faith to choose life eternal then we get this gift called hope which fuels us to persevere in times of trouble.but as man fell and chose poorly we will always have to confront those moments of doubt and fear.and for even those that believe in God and heaven those moments of doubt create a contradiction in our nature.and this is sin.and psychology will never confront sin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you, Steve. I stopped short because the blog was getting long and what you bring up is worth a whole other blog in itself! In fact, I'm working on something that addresses these very issues. You're right when you say that Psychology always stops short and doesn't adress sin...it also falls short of understanding that we are all sinful vessels who are not what we are meant to be. We will never, on this earth function as we have been created to function. Without the cross, we have no hope to life to the fullest and hope that will propel us in the darkest of dark moments when we are all alone and have nowhere or no one to to turn to. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete